Vehicles & Rail
Katsa - Dropboxes and Transfer-Cases
Katsa has decades of experience in supporting heavy duty vehicle manufacturers to combine power packs, diesel engine and main transmission, with the chosen drive train axles. Successful projects with customers from business sectors like military, mining and construction, public transport, wood industry have proven our engineering knowledge and manufacturing capabilities.
Almost all heavy-duty vehicles require a transfer-case to get the power and torque down to the drive train from the power pack. In multiple wheel drives the power is also needed to be divided between the axles.
Quite often design process encounters such requirements, limitations or restrictions that it is quite easy to see, that the best point for customization is the transfer-case.
General technical overview of Katsa´s Dropboxes and Transfer-Cases:
- Full freedom in vertical- and horizontal displacement between power pack and drive train.
- Up to 1040 kW engine power
- Max input speed more than 4000 rpm
- Max output torque 37 000 Nm
- Assorted differentials: conical or planetary, lockable
- Multiple speed ranges:
- Pneumatically or hydraulically operated gear shifter
- Automatic shifting with hydraulically operated clutches
- Housing materials: aluminium, grey casting, etc.
- Water tight solutions and special surface treatments
- Additional PTO´s eg. for pumps, compressors etc.
- Additional PTI´s for hybrid solutions
- Conditioning monitoring systems
For heavy Full Electric or Hybrid vehicles, Katsa has expertise designing and manufacturing wheel hub drives by combining planetary gearbox design and innovative Permanent Magnet electric motor technology. With this kind of technology it is possible to minimize exhaust emissions. This creates benefits especially in Underground Construction sites when the need for air-conditioning is significantly lower with minimal exhaust emissions.
- 2-Stage Planetary Gear Unit
- Nominal torque up to 200 Nm
- Peak torque up to 550 Nm
- Max static torque 800 Nm
- Max input speed up to 3300 rpm
- Ratio up to i = 1 : 35
For Electric utility vehicles and mobile equipment Katsa has developed electric drive train gearbox solutions. Typically Katsa´s gearbox has two ratios and speed ranges. Reduction ratio increases torque and therefore enables vehicles movement also in steep upward slopes under heavy load. With Katsa´s 2-speed gearbox the Permanent Magnet electric motor can be optimized to vehicles nominal usage and peak torques can be handled with Katsa´s gearbox reduction ratio.
General technical overview of Katsa´s Electric Drive Train Gearboxes:
- 2-speed ranges with synchronized gear shifting in motion
- Electric Motor mounting directly to gearbox
- Output with standard connection flange
- Versatile sensors and optional CAN Bus connection
- Power up to 300 kW
- Torque up to 5400 Nm
- Ratios: i = 1 : 1 and i = 3,3 : 1 (reducing speed)